Friday, September 22, 2017

My "64" Stratocaster next to Dave's real one!

So I have this opportunity to sit and play my good buddy Sonic Dave's real 1964 Stratocaster. He bought it back in the 80's out of someones closet in Rochester. I've known Dave for 30 years now and I've gotten to play this workhorse many times. It's been around the block and arrived with a fresh re-fret from Division Street Guitars in Peekskill. His guitar is the one that inspired me in the first place.

So how does mine stack up? First some photos....






Aside from some little visual things, location of the 'football' jack cup, where the tuners sit on the headstock, I gotta say Musikraft did a stellar job making this neck. The body by Guitar Mill is first rate as well. The contours are a little deeper, more like an early 60's body. People obsess over the whole "One piece body" thing and that cracks me up. Mine is 2 pieces, the real one I count four!!! But, who really cares about those things. How do they play side by side?

Really I can sum it up quite easily. His is old. 53 years old. It sounds 'experienced'. It's warmer, lacks a certain glassiness to the tone. Acoustically as well as electrically. This is to be expected. Wood mellows with age, pickup magnets mellow with age.

Other than that I'm still delighted with mine. I don't feel the need to obsess over an old one. Give mine a few more years on the planet and it will sound as warm. Really, the difference is splitting hairs. Impossible to quantify but I'd say it's just a bit warmer than mine.

And understand, his may possibly be my personal favorite Stratocaster. It's a truly great one.

I have faith that mine will grow into that warmth. My Esquire was kind of awful the first year but last week I got to play some great old ones. I came home and played my Esquire and forgot all about those expensive guitars.

How does the neck play? They are quite close. Mine is slightly bigger but if I actually had a career in music and one was my backup, I'd make the switch in 30 seconds flat.

Only other differences will happen with age. Yup, his pickguard is greener. Mine is the same color as his on the underside. People can't smoke in clubs any longer so that is a factor. But give it time.

Both are fantastic Stratocasters. Both feel rather hand made, hard to describe. A lot of new ones feel factory, something missing. I've felt that way about them for a long time now. If you can roll your own I think you are making a better guitar. So get out there and give it a go! It's fun and worth it. And now I have something I coveted for a long time in replica form, and I dig it.

J

No comments:

Post a Comment