Monday, October 2, 2017

The Stratocaster "Base" or "Bass" plate

This simple mod isn't for everyone. But I like it. The bridge pickup on a Stratocaster can simply vanish into thin air. I believe it was Lindy Fralin who started making these steel plates to fit under your bridge pickup. The Telecaster has one and my favorite guitar, the Fender Esquire, I don't miss having a neck pickup cause that bridge pickup is so full.

Installation is easy...

I scraped some wax from a candle I have onto the back of my pickup:





Step 2, sit plate on top of wax and melt with a soldering iron:

It's important to get the plate as flush as you can on the back of your pickup. Heat it up and press it with 2 objects like chopsticks or screwdrivers until the wax cools. If there is too much of a gap you can run into feedback issues. I've experienced this before....

Step 3: solder wire to the - or black wire and cut off excess:



Step 4. Put your guitar back together and rock out!

It's a fuller sound. Bass is a bit tighter but what I do notice is there is a Telecaster / Lap steel quality to the tone. More roundness to it. Try one! They only cost about ten bucks. If you don't dig it, carefully unsolder, re-heat and remove.

Buy one here: http://www.angela.com/lindyfralinbaseplateforstrat.aspx


Happy soldering! JB

Update, 10/5/17. I've been playing with this for just under a week and here are my impressions:

I'm not sure that it adds bass. But what I do hear is a rounder tone. It's definitely a bit more complex and stronger. Though, the contrast between the bridge pickup and others is reduced a bit. I can totally get behind the player who doesn't desire this as well. It's a bit like when you run a sound through an EQ and you turn the low mid dial back and forth. It has more body to it. I'll keep it in a while, take it out and see what I think then.

No comments:

Post a Comment