Monday, January 24, 2022

Electro Harmonix Double Tracker

 



Second box of the day. This one arrive DOA. Someone had boogered it up inside with some shoddy tech work and ya know, why make an EH pedal worse than it already is? These charmingly janky boxes that do a good job of falling apart on their own.


I got this one working by re-wiring the battery cables. The switch was intermittent so I replaced that and it worked brilliantly for about 3 minutes then POOF!


Power supply issue. I needed to replace the 2n4302 FET in the power supply. They are rare and spendy. I first tried a recommended substitute but that failed after 10 minutes. I replaced all of the electrolytic caps with the same values and replaced the tantalum cap with another tantalum. I also replaced the 13v zener diode (this pedal is 18v, takes two 9v batteries.)

I don't find much joy in working on janky pedals but it is nice when there is success and I've learned something.


How is it? It's a two trick pony.... slap back and faster slap back plus blend. That's it. I can do better with just a delay box. However, it sounds wickedly trashy! If I had a studio I would own one of these. I'm not sure there is anything else that quite sounds like this box.....




No comments:

Post a Comment