Thursday, August 3, 2017

Marshall Popular model 1930, circa early 70's



Here's an amp you don't see every day, a Marshall Popular 1930 model. It's a 10 watt 2x10" speaker amp. I've probably worked on 4 of these in the last 25 years, they are quite uncommon though not as rare as the really sought after and far more costly 18 watt 1974 model.

These apparently were only made for the European market so you'll need to either buy a step up transformer or replace the power transformer for domestic use. I know. Replacing a transformer is sacrilege. Whatever. Stick the original in a box and put it away until the day you sell the amp.

This came through with a problem all of them seem to have. Noise. Particularly buzz and lots of hiss. This particular amp was, um, 'converted' to an 18 watt model. A 6CA4 tube was added in place of the silicon diode rectifiers, the output tubes are the more desirable 6BQ5/EL84 tubes rather than ECL86 and another 12AX7 tube was added. Nice thing is all the socket holes are already there as these seem to share the same chassis as the 1974 model.

The intention of the job was good, the execution not so good. I did like the normal channel, it broke up immediately as a result of there actually being an extra gain stage.

So first thing to address was the hum. That was easy. change the filter caps and cathode caps. Hum gone. The challenging parts were: dead tremolo and buzzzzzzzzzzz hisssssssssssssssssss. Un-useable at low volumes. Turn it up and rock out and it's heavenly. You stop playing and you want to turn the amp off.

The tremolo usually dies from dead caps. You know, those 3 in a row typically ceramic caps. Tried that and no life. In this amp the cap going to ground on the tremolo stage was a .1 from the factory. I changed that to a .047 and started getting some oscillation. But not good enough. I noticed when the person modded this amp they changed the power supply resistors to higher values. My guess was they were as frustrated as I was about the buzz and this was an attempt to clean it up. I used the stock values and voom voom voom voom. Tremolo is roaring back to life. And....more buzz and hiss than before.

Yes, already tried new preamp tubes. Also changed load resistors, took out gain stage to see if the stock circuit was quiet. Nope. It all comes from the tremolo oscillator / gain stage. Pull that tube or alligator clip the signal to ground and it's quiet like a dead fish.

Also pulled all the pots and sanded the front of the chassis to tighten up the signal grounds. A minor improvement. Marshall used mechanical grounding in those days. Sometimes maybe in certain conditions, corrosion can happen and you get noise.

But that didn't solve the problem. Worked like a charm in other amps. Rats......

Time to resort to the forums. Type in Marshall Popular noise hiss.... Took me a while to find this problem addressed but I did find it. Someone post this question, a discussion followed that got heated and ugly as forums can do. (These amps are crap! No they aren't! Piss off! Moderators shut this down!). One person attributed the issue to hearsay about the phase inverter. Bollocks. But one person said this: "It's a flawed design. There is no gain stage between your guitar and the volume/tone controls thus causing excess noise." My first reaction was "WRONG!" Add gain, you add noise. This makes zero sense to me. And his comment generated no other comments. So being that it generated nothing and I was bored of this amp I figured he was on the right path.

So I tried it. Moved some wires around so it's more like the 18 watt (I've built a dozen of those, they are quiet!) and lo and behold, QUIET! Minimal hiss, no buzz, great sound.




Amp is loaded with the original Ceslestion 10" speakers. Always a bonus. I did wind up swapping out the power transformer just for ease of use. Plus, my client has a nice house with beautiful things. Having a step up is just kind of ugly. Which part did I use? The Mojo 18 watt power transformer. I did add a 100 ohm 25 watt dropping resistor between the rectifier and the first filter stage. This got it from the 350V to 325V range which is close to original.

So my take on these? Stock they really aren't that good. And the price people ask for these is stupid. Modded they are great. The complaints about them, noisy and thin sounding, are well founded. I, like most of us, prefer quiet and full sounding. They have the potential for that. But don't pay $2500-$3k for one. I'd sooner buy an 18 watt clone for what I want and spend the rest on a ticket to Italy. I would love to see more sanity in the vintage market. If these were great out of the box I'd happily pay what people ask. They are a cute little recording and club amp. When you've spent a lot then you buy into the anxiety of "will making it functional make me lose all my money????" To me something is only worth anything if it's useful. Fortunately my client likes things that work and sound awesome over just things to look at. What rocks stays, what sucks goes away. That's just sane. In the end, I really like this amp now. I wouldn't think twice about taking it on a gig. It really does give up a beautiful sound that is right between a Marshall and a good Vox. With my Fender guitars it's good and clear. Humbuckers it goes into full bodied overdrive without ever getting mushy.

-J

2 comments:

  1. Hey Jef, I own a 1x12 Popular and love it. I happened to have a US-made GE JG-6072/12AY7 tube that I stuck in in place of the 12AX7. The noise level dropped considerably, but I still have constant hiss. Can you expand on the comment you make about "moving some wires around so it's more like the 18 watt and lo and behold, QUIET? I'd really appreciate anything you can share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes.

      It's actually quite a bit more complicated than I stated.

      You'll want to obtain a schematic for your amp and one for an 18 watt. You'll then want to copy the 18 watt schemtaic.

      The difference is on the Popular your guitar signal goes right into the volume / tone stack before it hits your first gain stage (the 12ax7). On the 18 watt it hits the tube before it hits the volume / tone stack.

      It's been a while but I think I may have just been able to switch some of the signal wires to achieve this, like disconnect the one going into the volume / tone and place that into the input of the tube, then go from the plate through a cap into the tone stack. Either way, just copy what you see.

      Now, I cannot tell you why this works. I just know that after pulling my hair out on a couple of these trying everything I knew such as using a 12AY7 etc, I could not kill that hiss. Then I read on a forum this was the only option one person found. I did that and the amp is not only amazing now, it's usable!

      Not all old amps were designed well, and I think this is just one of those amps. Sometimes a poor design leads to great results like a special overdrive or tone quality. Other times it just leads to excess hiss and buzz.

      Thanks for your question. Hope this helps. Thanks, JB

      Delete