Thursday, August 3, 2017

Yet another Fender Blues Junior!



Yup. These can possibly be the most popular tube amplifiers in the world at the moment. Really, as far as new tube amps that are factory mass produced, this series is the best bang for your buck. I wouldn't consider much else out there including Mesa, Marshall or Peavey. Why? By some miracle Fender stuck to Leo Fenders vision of having equipment that is easily serviceable. The other companies seem to have a hatred of service people, so I don't mess with them. I like making money see, not wasting time. In and out and get paid. With so many of these about I can afford to say no to a lot of new amps.

These and their ilk come through often. I just had a Hot Rod Deluxe yesterday. They always have the same problems. Solder joints crack and the input just falls apart. Yes, they use crap parts to keep the lights on. Who can blame them? Good thing is these are easily fixed and it's really easy to put a proper Switchcraft J12 jack in. It's so routine that I don't even keep the stock Fender jacks around. Those just suck so for $5 more I say keep your customers happy. Unless you are like our medical industry where it profits by keeping people sick. No, I have morals and a sense of decency.

Jack!:



These have 3 circuit boards. Pull them and re-solder every socket, pot, jack and ribbon connection. 90% of the time and you are ready to go for another 5 years.

When I was doing this a lot more I installed a lot of mods in these. Most were from this cat:

http://billmaudio.com/wp/

Good stuff. Worth the effort. I also installed carbon composition resistors and nicer caps in many over the years. Much to my surprise the effort was worth it. More 'vintage' sounding meaning just smoother and more musical. Rock bottom priced resistors and caps produce mediocre and rather harsh results. That being said stock these are just fine too.

This is a late 90's model. Still has the Eminence made speaker rather than the Jensen. This is a far nicer sounding speaker. I like these. Nothing special, just really good and full, not harsh like the Jensen tends to be.

Other improvements? Not really necessary but I have dropped in Hammond and Heyboer transformers before and the results were pleasing. Fuller body on both of those. More iron, better bass.

These amps are a positive holdover from what I call the EL84 revolution. Back in the 90's the shift went from big amps to smaller. The tube business was changing constantly with wild price fluctuations, a war in the former Yugoslavia eliminating the EI tube factory production and a growing demand for tube amps with a shrinking supply of good tubes. Sovtek made and still makes a decent EL84. We were bummed when EI stopped cause theirs was sonically superior. JJ took that chair, I like those just fine myself. Many boutique makers started building around the EL84 cause they were cheap and plentiful. It got to the point where I was bored of this tube. "Our amp is a sweet spot between a Vox, Fender Deluxe Reverb with a Marshall crunch blah blah....." Boring. Make something that doesn't try to please everyone please!

But I'm over that. today the EL84 is relatively cheap and plentiful still. Many clubs here in NYC have one of these little Blues Junior amps available for the back line and I'm always happy to see one. They kind of get out of the way of your expression which is what a good amp should do. I can always get my bag out of the speaker, clean or gritty.

I've never owned one myself but if I had to I would be just as happy. They kind of can't be beat! (Yo Fender, where's my endorsement??)

-J

2 comments:

  1. I have a blues junior 4. And I've had it for 8 months .. I now am plagued with a crackling noise through the amp. And I cant figure out where or why its happening..any help is greatly appreciated.. thank you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First thing is to identify which stage it's coming from. Remove the output tubes and turn on. Crackling? Power supply or output transformer (unlikely but possible).

      No crackling? Put the tubes back in then remove the 12ax7 closest to them. Crackle pop? Likely your output tubes or a resistor linked to them. Try fresh output tubes.

      If there's no crackle, put that 12AX7 back in and take the next one out closest to it. Repeat.

      Always work from the output stage forward.

      Once you identify the stage it's in, if it's not a tube it's likely a resistor, capacitor or bad solder joint.



      In fact, you can also take a plastic chopstick or s sharpie pen and poke those ribbon wires and see if you can make it happen. When I used to do this kind of work a lot I'd routinely touch up all the solder joints on those ribbon wires along with every tube socket and jack. They all go bad eventually.

      As always, be careful. Don't get shocked. Always bleed those capacitors off before you start pulling those PC boards out.

      Hope this helps some. J

      Delete