Tuesday, November 20, 2018

1950 (or so) Gibson BR6F

The first good small tube amp I bought was a Gibson BR6F. I found it at Guitar Exchange in Catonsville, Maryland back in 1992.

I....love....these....amps!

6SJ7 driving a 6SN7 phase inverter feeding 2 hungry little 6V6 tubes. 5Y3 rectifier. 10 watts into a 10" field coil speaker.

A word about the field coil speakers. They often sound lovely. Don't do what I did to mine: run a bunch of pedals into it and blast off for hours. I killed mine and once that speaker is dead, that's it. It'll never be the same. You want to treat the elderly nice and gentle, with respect. Leave those dumb ass pedals in the bag and learn to play better!

I probably could have had that speaker rebuilt, but I blew mine up in 1995. No internet in those days and tough to find someone to rebuild it properly

If you do blow it up, check these cats out:

http://www.thespeakershop.com/home/speakerrepair.html

his one was at Southside Guitars. It's long sold. I re-capped it and replaced the power cable. I hope the new owner just plugs in and plays it!

And a video of my friend Eric playing it.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PUzJnwjELg

The amp:








1 comment: