Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Ancient Gibson amplifier circa 1930's



Here we have a real gem, an ancient Gibson amp from the early or mid 1930's. I know very little about this one, I don't know what model it is. What I do know is it's ultra simple. No power switch, no volume control. And inside no signal capacitors either. It's 100% transformer based in the signal path.

I replaced the ancient electrolytic capacitors, put a grounded power cable on and left it at that. It has a lovely voice with it's 10" field coil speaker. It's about as loud as an old Gibson J45 being strummed good and hard so it's actually kind of perfect for playing in acoustic situations.

Silkscreened logo:





Ancient super cool "Goat" tube shield:





Speaker shots. Jensen field coil. I love wrinkle black paint. It's my favorite. 30's look!






Interior shot. Simple!



This was another amp from the legendary Indigo Ranch recording studio. It had been sitting for the last 20+ years at Sonic Circus in Vermont. Now it's cutting tracks again at their studio. Real blessing to be able to work on such a rare and interesting piece!

J

2 comments:

  1. What is the first tube? A 6A6? There was no signal cap between the triodes?? I think I have the same amp, but little different configuration maybe. Did some investigation and found out mine should be model E-100 (not EH-100), built around 1935.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't recall the input tube. Next time I'm in Vermont (likely summer 2021) I'll have a look.

    And correct. No signal capacitor. Just transformer coupled. We really liked this one. Not particularly useful except for cutting tracks but had a warm and clear voice.

    J

    ReplyDelete