Friday, March 13, 2015

1998 Fender Hot Rod Deville 3/13/15



Need a good, well made amp that is LOUD for cheap? You still can't beat these. This is an earlier version. Easy to work on, mod, bias and make music with. Tonally? Kinda harsh for my taste but I have had success with changing signal caps and resistors in the signal path. Heck. I once changed every signal cap and resistor plus the harsh, terrible modern Jensen speaker for a customer out west at his request. I thought he was nuts as it was a $350+ job. In the end though it sounded like an old amp. I was quite pleased with the results and so was he!

  This amp just needed tome new tubes and routine maintenance. Every few years a bunch of little solder joints inside need to be touched up, they simply come un-done and cause noise and dropouts. This was no exception. Also, I've replaced more load resistors on the phase inverter in these amps than any other. If yours sounds particularly harsh and lacks volume, there is a 50% chance that is the problem. Easy fix for the experienced tech. Don't try it if you don't know what you are doing!

  Great amps overall. They get my thumbs up. One of the only modern amps I enjoy working one. Many modern amps I simply won't look at cause the construction is so poor and they are not made to be worked on at all. These are no problem!

JB

No comments:

Post a Comment